Band Update for 2020 Memorial
****SPECIAL UPDATE 08/22/2020****
As reported in our last update, Pipes and Drums leadership has been working on a way for the band to honor our fallen during the weekend originally scheduled for Memorial Weekend. I am happy to report that we have received approval to play Sunday morning October 4th, outside at the Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton Basilica. This is right next door to the National Fire Academy and we will be utilizing the large field where parking was last year so our beautiful music travels across the area of the memorial.
The TENATIVE playing time is between 0900-1000 where the band will circle up following whatever outside social distancing rules are in effect here in Maryland and play through all of our sets. Once done, we will need to depart from the site quickly so we do not impede the church services for the day.
This event will just be for pipes and drums. Nothing extravagant, no flair, just a group of brothers and sisters getting together to pay respects for our fallen. Band leadership is also working on other events for the weekend including the Friday evening get together, a full band practice location Saturday morning and a pipes and drums playing event Saturday evening. More to come on all of this as we continue to nail down logistics and see what pandemic rules are in place but we wanted to get everyone the information that we have now so you can plan appropriately.
So what do you need to do now if you want to come help honor our fallen.
- Make sure you are up on all of the tunes for Memorial Weekend. Just like the normal weekend, if you are not up on ALL of the normal Sunday morning tunes and a majority of the Candlelight Vigil tunes, we ask that you stand down, take the time to learn them and plan on coming in the future when you do have them. Remember, we honor the fallen by respecting our instruments and the music that they play.
- Email email@example.com with the following information if you plan on attending
- Have you attended before
- If you are responding for your band please use one point of contact to send the information
- Figure out any lodging needs you may have. Lodging and travel are on your own. There are hotels in Gettysburg and the surrounding areas that have occupancy so reach out now and book them if you are coming.
- Stay tuned for more definitive information on times and locations.
We are excited that we have this opportunity to play for our fallen. We want to do it right like we aim for every year. Please reach out with any questions and be patient as we solidify the plan. As P/M Emeritus Cochran always said, "Semper Gumby."
Stay safe and we hope to see you in October.
P/M Ivan Browning